Monday, January 27, 2014

Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas




January 27, 2014


This was a Pinterest recipe I had pinned on my Crock Pot board for months, but never thought to actually make it. I am definitely glad I did! I adapted this recipe slightly from: http://www.stacymakescents.com/fix-and-forget-friday-crock-pot-chicken-fajitas


So, I love the taste of chicken fajitas, but am not big on the sizzling plate they come on in the restaurant. This crockpot version is the perfect fix! It is one of my top 3 favorite crock pot recipes, and always gets great reviews when I make it for others. And yes, I realize there is no lettuce or sour cream in the picture - I don't like either. Weird, I know...but, feel free to add whatever fajita toppings you like, I am sure it will taste great!


P.S. I buy packages of colored bell peppers ahead of time. I chop them up, and freeze them in individual food saver bags (ziplock bags work fine too) so they are ready to go for the mornings I decide to make chicken fajitas. You can throw them in the crock pot still frozen - it works great and saves time! 






Ingredients


2 lbs chicken breasts
2 bell peppers, chopped into strips (use any combo of yellow, red, or green)
2 1/2 tablespoons of your favorite fajita seasoning (I just mix 1 tablespoon chili powder and 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin and use that)
1/4 cup chicken broth
Flour tortillas 
Additional toppings of your choice - shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream, hot sauce, etc.

Instructions

1. Cut the bell peppers into strips and place into the bottom of the crock pot.
2. Place the chicken into the crock pot. You may use fresh or frozen, it will just affect the cooking time. I'll explain below. 
3. Pour the chicken broth over the chicken.
4. Pour the seasoning over the chicken, and cook for 6-8 hours on low. If you used fresh chicken, cook for 6 hours. If you use frozen, cook for 8 hours.
5. Take the chicken out of the crock pot when done cooking, and shred on a plate. Enjoy on tortilla shells with your favorite fajita toppings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment